Saturday, January 16, 2010

Fancy Food Show 2010 - Out the Door for Lunch


Just arrived in San Francisco for the Fancy Food Show. This is my 10th show, and truly one of my favorite trade shows - not only because it's in San Fran (a fabulous food town), but also because I get to see everything that's new and delicious in the world of food. Arrived at the hotel, checked in and headed out for a little shopping. Nordstrom's at the Westfield Shopping Center holds fond memories for me, including a romantic trip with my honey who took me shopping and picked out beautiful outfits to try on. Best part of that trip was watching him carry a Christmas gift for our daughter, a life sized Barbie Doll, under his arm while we shopped!

After a couple of hours - I needed refreshment, so headed down to "Out the Door," one of Slanted Door's satellite restaurants. Gleaming glass tiles, bamboo and brushed stainless steel tables make the decor eco chic but friendly. Ordered a bowl of Beef and Noodle Soup and a crisp Pilsner (I was parched from all that shopping).

A steaming white bowl was set in front of me, the beef had just been added to the rich broth and was still pink when it arrived. I added some beautiful bean sprouts which still had little green leaves at the top, not like the sprouts at the grocery store! I also added a couple of Thai Basil leaves, a squeeze of lime and some sliced jalapenos and dug in. The broth was silky and delicious, with small ribbons of caramelized shallots floating on the surface. The beef was tender and the wide noodles delicate and delicious. A perfect midday feast, not too filling and so very satisfying.

Back at the hotel room to change before heading out again. Tonight, I will be joining the festivities at the big Godiva party at Vessels restaurant. They are introducing their new line of chocolates, Godiva Gems, and should have plenty of samples on hand. Good thing I ate a light lunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment